TRIP008 – What’s On My Master Chain?
Have you subscribed yet? – don’t miss the latest episode each week!
You can get The Radio Imaging Podcast on Stitcher now!
Check it out here:
Soundcloud Storm Clouds
Have you seen this article posted the other day, who else isn’t too concerned about Soundcloud’s troubles?
What’s On My Master Chain?
You might want to check out Episode 6 “How I Make Radio Imaging” if you haven’t listened to that ahead of this episode.
Remember, this is just how I do things – it doesn’t make it the only way to do things!
Importantly, the key with mastering is to not to do too much. You’re really just smoothing out and polishing what should already been a solid mix.
Tools you might use on your master chain could be:
- Compression to tighten and glue.
- EQ to smoothen out. (Sorry I couldn’t find the research I talked about in the episode.)
- Reverb to put everything into the same space.
- Multiband Compression to tailor specific frequency ranges that need taming.
- Distortion to add colour.
- Limiting to catch wild peaks.
- Stereo Widening.
- Sonic enhancement.
So, what’s on my master chain?
- API-2500 from Waves
- FabFilter Saturn
- iZotope Ozone 7
- Native Instruments Vintage Compressors.
- iZotope Neutron
Check out this crazy montage from James Harness
Wanna keep the education going?
Remember to subscribe to this podcast, and give it a FIVE star review.
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Requests? Comment below or get in touch here.