TRIP010 – Is The Radio Imaging Talent Pool Empty?
The iPod is DEAD. Sort of.
Sort of because iPods have converged with our phones… check out the article on Mashable here.
Soundcloud is still here, and may have investors.
Check out the article here.
You can see my thoughts on this in the wizzFX article “Soundcloud Storm Clouds.”
So, is the Radio Imaging talent pool empty?
This is based on an article from a year ago – unpacking and discussing in a the podcast. I’ve talked to a lot of Radio Imaging folks over the last year so I thought it well worth a revisit.
There are no great training grounds to learn the trade and prove how good you are.
- Andreas’ blog for Benztown.
- Future IMGR
- This website – check out the resources and free courses!
- The Earshot Creative Review Podcast
- Ryan Drean’s Producers Podcast
Everyone wants the same sound.
- Most production services are not the problem.
- People are still ‘idea insular.’
- There is push back from creative people – check out Z100, KROQ, Nova, Triple M, ZM, The Edge.
Radio Imaging producers aren’t valued anymore.
- Costs are being cut everywhere.
- Often the Imaging Guy is the Drive Jock and Music Scheduler.
- Media suffers as a result
- But many media roles aren’t being valued.
The time to be creative has gone.
- Because of multiple hat wearing roles
- Production Services can be a saviour though!
They’ve taken their talent elsewhere.
- Radio is a labor of love, so when you’re done you’re done.
- Fewer jobs mean people take their skills elsewhere.
* Other jobs can often pay better.
Radio Imagers are taken for granted.
- I still believe this to be the case. Managers of creative people need to get better at praising people.
- Recommended book: Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull.
The skill set required is growing faster than the pay grade.
- I feel this is mostly because many people have multiple roles to fill at a station, not just doing Imaging.
What do you think? Comment below!
So, this piece from Mike Sideshow Anderson is sick:
Great production, great story telling skills. Epic piece remembering Chester Bennington from Linkin Park.
Ryan Drean’s The Producers Podcast is awesome, if you’ve never listened.
Ryan’s podcast is probably the BEST Radio Imaging podcast out there to learn a load of tips and tricks from a load of highly respected Radio Imaging and Voice Over folks.
Check it out here!
Remember tosubscribe to this podcast, and give it a FIVE star review.
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Requests? Comment below or get in touch here.